Although chocolate is the best known product made with cocoa, consume it in other of its forms may be more beneficial to your health and beauty.
It not for nothing is known as the food of the gods, as the Aztecs and Mayans paid tribute for its great nutritional properties and of course, taste.
Cocoa seed can be extracted three substances: cocoa liquor, cocoa butter and cocoa powder. They are used to make different food products as much beauty; chocolate desserts, bread, mole, soaps, creams, shampoos, among others.
According to Sandoval Yareri nutritionist, nutrition coordinator of the Mexican Diabetes Federation, and the dermatologist Rosa Maria Ponce, this food has several benefits:
- Cocoa tops the list of foods with the highest antioxidant substance, almost alike to green tea and red wine.
- Contains 50% fat in the form of butter, 11 to 12% protein, 7 and 8% starch, and the rest consists of water, fiber, and organic acids essential in smaller quantities has sugar, theobromine, caffeine and 300 more substances.
- The higher content of magnesium is found mainly in its raw form.
To your health
- The power of its antioxidant is associated with a protective effect in preventing different diseases and development of oxidative stress, such as; cardiovascular, cerebrovascular, liver cancer, gastric diseases, colon cancer, and diabetes.
- Relieves stress thanks to theobromine, which stimulates the central nervous system, it is milder than caffeine, and its effect is longer.
- Consumption of black chocolate with 60 to 70% cocoa can reduce levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises good (HDL).
- Excellent for sexual performance. Its chemicals like phenyl ethylamine, anandamide, and serotonin, neurotransmitters are responsible for stimulating endorphins in the brain responsible for feeling of comfort, pleasure, euphoria and excitement.
For your beauty
- Do not ingest, but in the form of topical products, has hydrating benefits to hair and cellulite reduction.
- A great antioxidant for the skin thanks to its flavonoids that protect against cell damage that free radicals exercise.
- It is a natural sunscreen, which can help prevent skin cancer.
The best way to eat
According to a study done in New York, has shown that a cup of soluble cocoa drink containing higher concentration of antioxidants.
Tip of the experts
Consume 2-3 times a week 1-2 ounces of black or dark chocolate with higher cocoa content and lower portion of sugar and saturated fat.