Diet is one of the most important in maintaining the health of a parrot factors. Improper diet prevents the proper development of the animal, predisposes to diseases and can even cause death reach.
A good diet is one that is balanced, varied and complete, so that each animal has different needs depending on the species, age, reproductive time … Diet presented here it is applicable to the vast majority of adult parrots to cover maintenance needs.
It is considered that there are two ways to provide a proper diet a parrot in captivity:
- Food with seeds and fresh vegetables. This system aims to mimic the behavior of the parrot in the wild and must consist of:
- Mix seeds: Should constitute 60% of total food you eat the bird after day. There are different brands that sell this type of food for parrots, but we must consider that a good mix contains a minimum of 10 to 12 different seeds and sunflower seeds should be very abundant. This mix gives a perfect Diet for Parrots.
- Fruit and vegetables: 40% of the daily ration will be a fruit salad, vegetables and fresh vegetables. Legumes are soaked hours to hydrate and are not as hard and give them at the time of the animal are washed with water. We can give lentils, chickpeas, beans; peas … offered raw vegetables but thoroughly washed with water. Examples are carrots, endive, cucumber, zucchini, endive, chard, spinach … And as fruits give apple, pear, apricot, strawberry, banana, orange, tangerine, Granada, kiwi, grape, pineapple, watermelon, and melon … washed without pinions.
- Nuts: Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, pine nuts … should be occasional. They can be used as long as the animal prizes obey an order or to gain their trust. In animals that live outside all year round, you can add an extra supply of nuts during the cold season.
Ideally this diet is divided into two portions, so that the salad vegetables, legumes and fruits in the morning and the seed mixture in the afternoon or vice versa are offered. This way is better mimics the normal behavior of parrots in the wild.
- Another way to provide a balanced feed is by our extruded feed. These feeds are formulated to provide a complete and balanced diet and different brands have different presentations regarding the shape and colors are marketed. This system is more comfortable for the owner but not all parrots well accepted unless chicks have been used since. On the other hand, although commercial houses present it as only food, we prefer to supplement it with fruits, vegetables and legumes.
On the other hand, the animal must have at all times clean and fresh water. All foods of animal origin (meat, fish, eggs, milk …) as well such as fried and soft drinks, alcoholic or coffee should be excluded from feeding our pet.
In times of high wear dumb or animal can be supplemented with vitamin complexes for parrots, but if we get our animal follow one of two diets perfectly, the supply of vitamins and minerals will be correct. It becomes clear that growing animals and breeding females have a time different nutritional needs especially with regard to calcium and protein.